College grad - no jobs? Maybe it’s time to consider the alternative - create your own (job I mean)!
When I was just out of college I opened my first restaurant on Cape Cod. I had $2,500 and a little practice in the restaurant business and thought a young guy on the Cape with his own restaurant could be a fun thing. I was right!
I studied English in college which wasn’t the perfect background because I opened a Mexican restaurant - with a Spanish speaking cook who spoke no English. The moral to this story is - get creative.
The challenge - a lot has to do with do with courage and there’s more. Here’s the key that I found after 25 years in that business. It can be done - you can do it - it’s probably not a straight and comfortable path - I wouldn’t have changed a thing!
A tip if you are thinking about your own leap - the reason you can be successful isn’t because you know how to do it. The fact is you probably don’t - I didn’t.
A really great teacher of mine once said, “you don’t have to know how to do something in order to do it.” That isn’t typically the Western world view - but it is mine, and if you check out some of the most fulfilled people around (some highly successful, some just plain happy), I think you’ll find they chose their direction and learned on the fly.
You don’t have to be reckless to take the first step and see what happens - think about it.





0 comments:
Post a Comment